1.6.6 Closed Beta
January 22, 2011:
This is a very early proof-of-concept version. It requires Java and takes input on the command line. The program will only run if at least one of the Steam profiles you specify
are members of the SDS Steam group. Check out this blog article for more info.
NOTICE: This version does not contain all features planned for SixDegreeSteam, is expected to only run as fast as your system will allow, and most importantly IS NOT LIKELY TO CALCULATE RELATIONSHIP PATHS OF 5 OR MORE.
(In other words, it's a beta to test the concept. It isn't meant for public use quite yet)
(by downloading, you signify that you have read and understand the above notice)
How to run (Windows Vista/7):
- Open the command prompt. Type java -version and press enter. If three lines of text containing version info are returned, skip to step 3. Otherwise, you need to make sure Java is installed and add it to your environment variables.
- After installing Java, find the location of the JRE on your computer. It's usually C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin or C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jre6/bin. The folder should contain java.exe.
- Copy the full path (including the /bin folder).
- Click the Windows Start button. On the right of the start menu should be a link to your Computer. Right click it and select Properties. A new window titled System appears.
- * REQUIRES ADMIN PRIVILEGES * On the left of the new window is a link to Advanced System Settings. Click that to make a new window appear.
- At the bottom of the new window, click Environment Variables. Yet another window appears.
- In the new window, edit or create the Path variable under System Variables. At the end of the field, type a semicolon and paste the path you copied in step 3. Click OK and close all windows. Re-open command prompt and try step 1 again.
- In command prompt, type cd followed by the folder containing the downloaded SDS file and hit enter. (Example: cd C:/Users/Blake/Desktop)
- Type the following for usage instructions:
java -classpath "./sixdegsteam-166.jar;%CLASSPATH%" com.subnetroot.sixdegsteam.server.SDSPureClient
java -classpath "./sixdegsteam-166.jar;%CLASSPATH%" com.subnetroot.sixdegsteam.server.SDSPureClient id/blakeoxx id/killacobrast
Contact ROOT via Steam, Blake's Coding Blog, or by leaving a comment on the SDS Steam group page. Questions and comments are welcome, whining about how the program does not do something yet is not. :)